About Chennai : Madras known as Chennai now has journey of 4 centuries….
Facts of Namma chennai
1. Second oldest corporation in the world.
2. Kathipara flyover in Guindy is the largest Clover leaf shaped flyover in Asia.
3. 31st Largest metropolitan in the world.
4.”Higginbotham” book shop at Mount Road is the first and oldest existing book shops in India.
5. Fourth most populous metropolitan city in India
6. Chennai is the only city in South Asia and India to figure in the “52 places to go around the world” by The New York Times
7. St. Mary’s Church inside Fort St. George is the oldest Anglican church in India.
8. First printing press erected in 1711
9. Chennai referred as Gateway of South India.
10. Chennai region has the oldest rocks in country dating to billion years.
11. Chennai is the only oldest serving municipal corporation in India
12. Chennai central prison is the oldest prisons in India.
13. LIC building which is completed at 1959 is the highest building in India
at that time.
14. Madras High Court building is the second largest judicial complex in world after one in London.
15. Royapuram railway station is the third oldest station in India.
16. Government college of fine arts and crafts is the oldest college in Asia.
17. In 1930, Madras university introduced Music in bachelor course as first time in India.
18. Chennai remains top in the most visited city in India till 2008 by tourists.
19. Phoneix shopping mall at Velachery is one of the biggest malls in Asia.
20. Chennai contributes to 40 % of retail Gold sales in India.
21. Marina is the second longest beach in world with length 13 km
22. Chennai is cultural capital of South India.
23.Second largest IT exporter in India.
24. According to Forbes magazine, Chennai is one of the fastest growing cities in the world and the only Indian city to be rated in the “Forbes-Top 10 Fastest Growing Cities in the World”
25. A major part of India’s automobile industry is based in and around Chennai thus earning it the nickname “Detroit of India”
26. Tidel park in Chennai is Asia’s largest IT park when it was built.
27. Chennai is the largest electronic hardware exporter in India.
28. One of the four cities in India to be connected by under sea fiber optics cable.
29. First Indian city to have widespread Wifi facility.
30. World bank permanent back office in Chennai is the biggest building owned by World bank outside its headquarters in Washington D.C
31. CHENNAI is termed as health capital of India.Chennai Koyambedu CMBT is the biggest bus terminal in Asia.
32. Chennai is the biggest artificial port in India & biggest in bay of bengal
33. Chepauk M.A. Chidambaram stadium is the oldest cricket stadium in India
34. Only Indian city to be attacked during world war 1
35. Bus transportation is introduced by year 1925 in Chennai interestingly Flight service is introduced in 1917 itself.
36. Madras was renamed as Chennai in the year 1996.
37. Cancer institute at Chennai established in 1920 is the oldest Cancer hospital in India.
38. Anna Centenary Library in Chennai is the biggest library in Asia.Vandalur zoo is the first public zoo and also largest in India.
39. Chennai has the highest two wheeler population in India.Chennai is the second largest employment producer in India with 35,000 jobs every year.
40. Chennai is the best place for post production work for all Indian cinema according to experts.
41. Chennai ranked first for its educational institutions by outlook magazine.